This lovely Shinto shrine and grounds is very close to the centre of Tokyo, hidden behind the DIET building.
Its open most days from 5 am – 6pm and is a really tranquil place in one of the worlds busiest cities.
The original shrine was built in 1478 in the grounds of Edo castle, which is now the site of the Imperial palace, in Tokyo. But it has been moved around a few times, once to make it easier for the people to worship at and other times after fires.
Hie Shrine gets its name for Oyamakui-no-kami, the god of Mount Hie in Shiga prefecture who is enshrined here and is the protector deity of Edo (Old Tokyo)
When the Shogun Ieyasu Tokugawa began ruling Japan from Edo Castle. He also became a patron of the Hie Shrine and worshiped the deity as the protector of Edo. The citizens of Edo also had the strongest faith in Hie Shrine, which enshrined the guardian deity of the Shogun.
In 1607 Hie shrine was moved to a site near the present National Theatre. This allowed the people of Edo to visit and worship at the shrine. In 1657, much of Edo including Hie shrine was destroyed by fire.
The shrine was rebuilt in 1659, by Shogun Ietsuna Tokugawa at its present location.
Unfortunately, as with so many Tokyo buildings, the shrine buildings were burnt down in the bombing of Tokyo during the Second World War, in 1945. The present shrine buildings were re-constructed in 1958 with funds raised by local residents & worshipers.